我们都他ard that plenty of times and probably said it a few times too. In golf, you must keep the ball in play. In football, you can't turn the ball over. In baseball, throw strikes. In tennis, no unforced errors. Translation: no mistakes. Error-free play won't guarantee that you'll win, but error-plagued play will ensure that you lose.
制造业没有什么不同。如果目标是成为世界级制造商，那么全部重要的第一步是“保持球在比赛中” - 在你甚至开始之前，不要明显击败你的错误。你必须给自己一个赢的机会。
AtStrategex, our experience has shown that there are eight of these obvious errors. We call them "The Eight Deadly Sins,” the eight “sins” that always get in the way of profitable growth and a world-class customer experience that you just can't make. As in sports, avoiding those mistakes won't guarantee that you'll be a world-class manufacturer, but failing to prevent them will guarantee that you won't be in the playoffs.
- 未能确定安全，质量，交付和成本 - 按此顺序。
It's a tollgate system: get safety right, then we can work on quality. Get quality right, and then we can work on delivery. Do all of that, and THEN (and only then) we can attack cost. Of course, it is tempting to look to shave costs when our performance falls short of our expectations. But doing that before our house is in order will crush us in the end. Never compromise SQDC.
A bit of detail:
- Safety:Nothing destroys a company more quickly than safety issues. So, we keep it simple: there is no job we do that isn't worth the time to do it safely. Any associate, at any time, is authorized to stop a process if they believe it is unsafe.
- 质量: A business can stay in business for a long time if it has a reputation for outstanding quality. There are plenty of restaurants that cost a lot and make you wait for a table. The ones that stay in business are the restaurants where the quality is so good that it's worth it. So, what's the definition of quality?无论客户所说的那样。
- 交货：一旦覆盖安全和质量，就按时获取产品。有两种类型的时间交付（OTD）：按时到promised日期，并准时到了requesteddate. The latter is more challenging. So, get 100% on time to promised date first, then work on your on time to the requested date. It's essential to get it there on time.
The impact of on time delivery? A recent manufacturing client increased its OTD for their top, critical customers from 78% to 100% and won an additional $30 million of business.
- 成本：不要通过牺牲安全性，质量和交付来降低成本。获取SQD ROTE，然后您可以履行成本。有无数的方法可以做到这一点，但这是一点点秘密：很少有优秀SQD的公司都有C问题。获得SQD吧，一切似乎到位。
- Having a Bloated Product Line/Way Too Much Product Variation
过于复杂的产品线几乎总是具有制造业问题的公司的根本原因 - 特别是对于国外专注于收入而非利润的公司来说。这些公司提供了太多选择和制造太多不同的东西。结果效率低下，SQDC和困惑和令人沮丧的客户。
It's not easy. But you can't win without doing it.
- Mixing Long-Run Production with Short-Run Production
World-class manufacturers have a key advantage: They don't do changeovers very often. They set up their production to make standard products and "standard configurations" in long runs, and they just...let it run. They've learned that SMED (Single Minute Exchange of Dies) isn't nearly as powerful as not "changing the die" very often. Thus they master flow manufacturing.
We worked with a food equipment manufacturer who seldom built the same product twice. The combination of accessories and customizable parts was endless. We standardized their product – and reduced configurations by eliminating the underperforming options. Instead of manufacturing to order, they manufactured a standard product that came with all the options. The customers received all the options to customize themselves. Sure, they built and shipped extra parts and pieces. But at the end of the day, they gained 5x from the efficiency of long-run standard.
- Poor Measurement...The Wrong KPIs, Too Few of Them, or Too Many
那就会更好,即使你don’t do anything. Hence, it's essential: get the key data, and let that data tell you what to do. At the same time, if everything is important, then nothing is. So, choose wisely. Choose the measures that matter. Usually, that means three to five Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) per area.
Here are a few KPIs to consider:
- Isotif - “在规格中，按时完整地进行规格”的首字母缩写。这涵盖了很多重要的地面，因此，它是普遍选择的KPI之一。第一步：将其达到您的顶级帐户100％。
- 铅时间 - 使用行业基准，为您的顶级账户畅销。
- Parts-Per-Million (ppm) – What is the defect rate, and how can you improve the trend towards Six Sigma? Six Sigma is 3.4 defects ppm.
- 循环时间 - 简化您的产品线并减少您的循环;然后测量它并降低它。
- Quote Time – For top accounts, you should be able to deliver world-class turnaround times.
- Response Time – For top accounts, dedicated support should respond within the hour. Technology can support this initiative, but customer service should be real human interaction. Also, reduce the number of rings/wait time it takes for your top customers to reach sales and service.
- Turnover – Lower your rate. Otherwise, you will spend more time recruiting and training and less time optimizing. If turnover is high, it is an indication that something is wrong with your system or culture.
- 停机 - 它很贵。如果您可以减少转换，可以最大限度地减少停机时间。
- Poor Visual Management
The best way to develop valuable visual management at a company is to envision your car's dashboard. All it takes is a glance at your dashboard, and you have all the information you need about your car's status. If no lights are flashing, there are no emergencies.
That's what great visual management is all about. If you can walk the floor and get all the information you need about the shop status (without talking to anyone, merely by looking at boards and lights, at a glance, at a distance), you have excellent visual management. If not, you don't; and you'll pay the price for that sin eventually.
Traffic signals (and on lights), simple and clear KPI boards, even whiteboards that tell you what is being made and when the run started, all provide good information. Visual management helps to eliminate mistakes and defects quickly, so it's an essential discipline to develop.
At a minimum, use visual management to communicate SQDC status. The best visuals combine KPI metrics with SQDC information and can be read at a glance and a distance.
Once you get the basics right, you can take it to the next level. It might be appropriate to watch customer demand by daily requirements. You can display daily inventory and shipment against demand. This will ensure a constant delivery flow and save you from everything being shipped at the end of the month.
- No Daily Management Meetings
What? MORE MEETINGS? We've got to STOP MEETINGS!
Yes, we've heard all of that. And, in truth, those day long meetings with 20 people where 18 people are forced to listen to things that don't relate to them from two people who dominate the proceedings are exactly those meetings you're talking about. But that's not what we're talking about.
使这部分文化，事物会改善，改善是有趣的（并且经常有利可图）。未能这样做，事物会错过 - 如果您尚未开发过这一学科，他们就会肯定。
You want to do more of what works and fix what doesn’t. There is no better teacher than experience. Conduct regular postmortem discussions to share experiences, learn from and fix mistakes, and celebrate successes.
Schedule post-mortems in advance of a process, project, or campaign ending. You can have them about any major issue (e.g., large opportunities, major investments, KPIs) or anything that is not right for your top customers. Invite a cross-functional team to conduct root-cause analysis and practice blameless problem-solving. Postmortems can also be celebratory. When you celebrate success, you repeat it!
A common statement we've all used is "plan your work, then work your plan." That's really all a build plan is about. It's the discipline to detach yourself from the daily whirlwind and put a game plan together. Most NFL teams "script" their first 15 plays; it keeps them on track, keeps them from getting distracted and away from their game plan before it has a chance to work.
A proper manufacturing plan or build plan ensures the appropriate technology and processes are in place to meet sales goals. A good plan helps identify where constraints exist and highlight areas to improve efficiency.
This sin is especially bad for seasonal and cyclical businesses. We know it’s tough to generate a sense of urgency in the off-season – but the need is critical. For example, we worked with a lawn and garden equipment manufacturer whose busy season was June and July. By correcting their build plan and starting blade manufacture in September, we were able to decrease their overtime cost by millions.
It’s essential to get your build plan down to the machine level, by day, for top accounts.
“你不赢过一段时间,你不做的事情s right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit.” – Vince Lombardi
So there you have them: The 8 Deadly Sins of Manufacturing.
Learn to recognize them, and grade yourself on your ability to avoid them. High grades will ensure that you keep your defense off the field and keep attacking with your offense. You'll give yourself a chance to win.
That alone will beat many competitors who don't realize that they've been beaten by you before the game even starts!
Interested in more? Join us May 18 from 2-3pm ET for a free webinar, “80/20的基本指南,” in partnership with the Manufacturers Alliance. Can’t make it? Sign up anyway and we’ll send you a link to access it on-demand after the event.
David Philippi: David is CEO of Strategex. His expertise includes 80/20 execution, product development, and market analysis to drive profitability.
Opinions expressed by contributing authors are their own.